Monday, July 19, 2010

The Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial









Sorry about the delay...
The last place we went was the Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial right off of Omaha Beach, "Bloody Omaha." This Cemetery and Memorial honors the men apart of the massive allied assault on the Normandy coastline on June 6, 1944 aimed to liberate France and drive into Nazi Germany. The cemetery was breathtaking, there were 9,387 soldiers buried with headstones, as well as 1,557 men on the wall for soldiers missing in action. When you looked out at all the graves you just could do nothing but go silent. There were so many it seemed like the rows of soldiers would never end. Walking through the cemetery made me speechless. There was nothing to say, and nothing to do but to walk up and down and honor the men that gave their lives for freedom. We also were each given a rose to place on the headstone of our choosing, I put my rose on a man buried next to his brother, who both were from Texas (our tour guide gave us a list of men from texas buried in the cemetery). I know I thought that the Canadian Cemetery was amazing, but this cemetery almost made me forget about everything else we had visited that day. It was incredible.
Picture 1: The front view of the start of the Cemetery
Picture 2: The opposite view of Picture 1. The statue is supposed to symbolize Youth
Picture 3: The Wall honoring those missing in action
Picture 4: A view of the headstones
Picture 5: Troy R. Dooley's headstone (where I placed my rose)

1 comment:

  1. The pictures are beautiful! I would love to see that. I bet it was very moving.

    ReplyDelete