Monday, July 12, 2010

Memorial Museum












Ok sorry about not posting for a little bit! My Internet has been out so I'm gonna try to catch everyone up!

Saturday we went to the Caen-Normandy Memorial Museum: Centre For History and Peace. It was incredible. They museum was huge and basically turned into this labyrinth of knowledge. There were several different ways you could choose to go and each area had short movies to watch, artifacts to find, and plenty of history to read about. It is supposedly one of the best World War II Museums in the world. Walking the halls of this place was like going back in time and reliving everything. The tanks and artifacts around the place were incredible, and really put the time and war into perspective. They also did a good job of sectioning off each country so you could understand the struggles of the people during that time. For example they had an entire area dedicated to the victims of concentration camps, as well as an area for the Gypsys. Mom I know you would have loved it and probably stayed there 10 hours because you wanted to read everything on the wall haha. I don't usually even like museums, but the presentation of the information was literally breathtaking. Seeing the enormous amounts of Nazi soldiers standing in line all facing Hitler was terrifying, and I can't even imagine having to see something like that in real life, right in front of me. I'm putting a few pictures up so that you can see some of what was there, unfortunately my camera died halfway through the museum, but Alex took more pictures for me so Ill try to steal some of hers later!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I wish I could have seen this! How exciting and it must be fun to see all that with the same friends you go to eveything with. There must be so much great information. It's nice that they show it from the soldier view and from other views too. It's also interesting to know what the civilians were going through at that time. I know you are busy with school work too, so I'm really appreciating the blog! Thanks for the update!! :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to share your journey with us. The pictures are great and I really enjoy reading your comments.

    Thanks,

    Doug

    ReplyDelete